[Squeakfoundation]Network stuff

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Tue May 6 21:26:01 CEST 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Mike, your current stance on this would be useful...

Trying to keep up ;-)

IMHO the network rewrite should go into the update stream soon (meaning:
now ;-) ).
As Craig wrote in another mail it basically replaces the upper layers of
the network code and decouples it from the raw network access by always
going through SocketStream. This should make it easier to replace the
lower levels by e.g. Flow without breaking applications using the
protocol clients.

I just uploaded the latest version for 3.5 (should work in 3.6 too),
please check if I broke anything (new).

 > this effect in 3.6a, giving people time to adjust/find bugs in the core
 > Socket, if there is any. Then we can use 3.7 to break the interface (by
 > removing the default actions) and let people adjust the applications.

I agree with the above :-)

Regarding http:
I started the rewrite, then realized that I should merge it with
Comanche. Then seaside and later Comanche NG came up and I decided to
wait a little to see which architecture would emerge in that context.
Now might be a good time to take a look again.

Cheers

Michael