[Squeakfoundation]Incorporating removals & KCP stuff

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed May 7 13:38:44 CEST 2003

> Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:57:27AM +0100, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > > You wrote about how to make this into an update since SM isn't in the
> > > vanilla image.
> > > This seems like an interesting problem I haven't really thought about.
> >
> > I allways thought that we would simply use the changeset's that are
> > referenced by the Squeakmap-packages, put those into the update-stream
> > and then remove the SqueakMap entry: very simple, no SqueakMap needed
> > for updating via the update-stream.

That's true, we don't really need SqueakMap in order to do the removals, so
that's fine.  However, at least one of the removals is a .sar package, and SAR
is not included in the base image.  This isn't a major problem, I guess, since
the removals are still relatively simple... I'll just have to split up the
.sar file into its individual changesets.  (Or, the alternative is to install
SAR in the base image for the time being.  Wait a minute... I'm not sure we
could have a .sar file as an "update" anyway, so nevermind.)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> Anyway, where are we on this? Is Doug doing the removals today? The
> seven that worked?

Yes, I'll do these tonight.  You mentioned something about testing them again
yourself, but either way, I'll add the removals tonight.

> PS. Maintaining the "full" image etc is not that easy until we have
> package releases - SM1.1. I would like to ask for a bit more time to try
> to get SM1.1 out the door because now finally I have time to get it
> done. I will post about SM1.1 later today I think with what it will
> include and how it works.

Right.  We've discussed that it's not currently practical to maintain a Full
image during the alpha stage, for now.  However, we will have a Full image (or
equivalent via a bootstrap) available with the 3.6 final release.

- Doug