[Squeakfoundation] SqueakMap in the image (was Re: Incorporating removals & KCP stuff)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu May 22 11:06:04 CEST 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:

> [Add SM into 3.6 using update stream to do package installation]
> Sounds good to me. BTW, you mentioned the current update stream seems to
> be leading to Minimal. I think that at least for 3.6 it should be
> leading us towards Basic.
I'll agree with this; whilst we clearly want to proceed eventually to
having a minimal image I doubt
a) that we're going to do it for 3.6
b) that it will be done simply by updates.

We discussed this matter somewhat at last nights Squeak meeting at
Craig's place. (Where were you all? Only seven people turned up and all
the rest of you missed pizza, beer, soda, doughnuts and great
conversation)

Craig's approach to remotely pillaging an image has (much against my
original expectations) worked beautifully. The mix of Flow and some very
well done proxy design has enabled him to get to a very small image and
most importantly to talk to it from a 'sensible' image. Personally I think
that the remote part is going to end up far more important than merely
shrinking the image. Remote debugging, clusters of images, all sorts of
possibilities.

Alongside that work we are expecting that some stuff I am deriving from
conversations with Alejandro & co. will make it possible to generate a
predefined minimal image from scratch, having learned from Craig's
pillaging what really needs to be there along with some thought about
what Dan referred to as an 'elegant minimal image'.

Assuming this all works ok we will have a minimal image that can be
expanded by remote manipulation to add any components needed including
of course the compiler system so that the subject image can simply
filein stuff for itself. At that point we can add more subsystems to
produce the basic image and then the mongo-kitchen-sink-dancing-baby
version. All completely repeatable via comprehensible scripts from well
known archived sources. Golly.

All we need is One Million Dollars, to quote Dr. Evil. Unmarked small
denomination bills, no consecutive serial numbers, plain brown paper
bag.

tim
Useful random insult:- Went to the dentist to have his cranial cavity filled.