[Squeakfoundation] SqueakMap in the image (was Re: Incorporating removals & KCP stuff)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri May 23 10:12:12 CEST 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
>
> > [Add SM into 3.6 using update stream to do package installation]
> > Sounds good to me. BTW, you mentioned the current update stream seems to
> > be leading to Minimal. I think that at least for 3.6 it should be
> > leading us towards Basic.
> I'll agree with this; whilst we clearly want to proceed eventually to
> having a minimal image I doubt
> a) that we're going to do it for 3.6
> b) that it will be done simply by updates.

Please read my other post regarding this. I have never thought that the
update stream will bring us all the way - not even halway. But the
principle is IMHO still a fact - the update stream is *currently*
attached to the "image" that is moving *towards* Minimal and not Basic.
I agree we are "splitting hairs" or whatever you call it but to me we
are doing two things at once and that is muddling the waters:

1. Move towards Minimal. That is what we are doing in 3.6alpa. We are
cutting out stuff into packages *including* stuff that will be in Basic
(installed as packages).

2. Maintaining the end user experience that the user is sitting in front
of Basic. But that means reinstalling packages (ontop of the current
not-so-very-but-still-moving-towards-Minimal image) as we go.

In my response to Doug I came down to a conclusion and a proposal how we
most easily should do this, see that post.

[BIG SNIP]
Otherwise I agree wholeheartedly about Craig's work and support it 200%
and really want it to not turn into a fork. Let me repeat that - it is a
"clear and present danger" IMHO. But I know Craig knows this and I hope
he manages to keep all his work "somehow repeatable and in synch" with
the rest of us.

And I also agree that there is no other way we will ever reach a Minimal
that has no UI for example. Simply not practical. Go Craig, go.