[Squeakfoundation] SqueakMap in the image (was Re: Incorporating removals & KCP stuff)

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun May 25 11:27:05 CEST 2003

Hi all,

Just a simple point about packages. I discussed a lot with Avi and
I think that while DVS is a simple start the future is to have real
package and not only
hack around the categories. Avi agrees on that.  I discussed recently
also with joseph
and he said that Ginsu is free (I should send him a license).
What would be good is to have a group of people discussing/cooperating
to create this asset.
May be this is already in place (sorry for not knowing it).

So there is still a gap between having definitions in the image (like
in Ginsu) and only
definitions in the exchange files but having definitions is important.
We should have a way
to see in the file that we declare a new Class, Pool what ever. We
could have then multiple
run-times if people want and we could load code without installing it.
So imagine what we could
do.

Having support for real package in the image is not really difficult
but the browser is
so much a pain that it will hamper any move. Nathanael and alex for the
traits and the
classboxes had to fix, patch, this gory browser, Markus also for his
ideas. What we are
planning to do here is to build our own browser where they could plug
what they need for
  their research.
I will check what is the plan but it should be still in our current
plans. First we want
to fix the core (compiler, changes notification, classOrganization).
However, this means
that we could take into account that other entities such as packages
could be used there too.

Stef