[Squeakfoundation] SqueakMap in the image (was Re: Incorporating removals & KCP stuff)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun May 25 02:24:12 CEST 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Having support for real package in the image is not really difficult but
> the browser is so much a pain that it will hamper any move. Nathanael
> and alex for the traits and the classboxes had to fix, patch, this gory
> browser, Markus also for his ideas. What we are planning to do here is
> to build our own browser where they could plug what they need for their
> research. I will check what is the plan but it should be still in our
> current plans. First we want to fix the core (compiler, changes
> notification, classOrganization).

Yes, I think this is the most important.  Once there is a clean Browser
sitting on top of clean changes notification and clean class notification,
it will be much much easier to do experiments with packages of all kinds.

Meanwhile I'm continuing to hack away at some 80% solutions.  Most of the
work I'm doing on Monticello doesn't really care how packages or even code
declarations are specified, it's just concerned with the versioning
aspects - so although I am providing a declarative package system of
sorts, it would be possible to switch to something like Ginsu at a later
point if that seemed worthwhile.