[Squeakland] Book Information: Powerful Ideas...

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Aug 14 12:53:05 PDT 2003

Hello Alan,

Thanks for the reply.

I look forward seeing what materials become available for self or
assisted learning. Any materials aimed at self or assisted (mentored,
tutored) learning would be of benefit to homeschoolers or anyone who
wants to learn on their own outside of an institution.

So the materials don't necessarily have to expressly address homeschool,
but merely self-directed learning.

There are many local homeschooling organizations, support groups where
homeschoolers meet to ask/answer questions. Some of these groups offer
classes for a variety of subjects that desire/require a group of
students. These would be interesting places to introduce Squeak.

I think it would be interesting if homeschoolers were encouraged to buy
the DVD and show it at a meeting. The price of the DVD is certainly no
obstacle.

Maybe after I watch the DVD I'll see about writing/emailing homeschool
support groups to encourage them to show the DVD at a meeting.

My wife and I do not belong to one as we live in a smalltown of only
1700. The nearest group is 20 miles away and my job currently doesn't
allow the freedom to participate.

Another interesting thing would be if someone could do a presentation at
  Homeschool Book fairs. Show the DVD in the presentation, answer a few
questions and have a table with available books. You or your staff may
not want to travel the country but I'm sure theres a fair nearby where
you live. Could be fun. Maybe over time a network of Squeakers could
develop to accomplish this with people only handling their local fair.

The homeschool market is not restricted by the government on its
materials. Homeschoolers have the freedom to do this, whereas many
Public Schools don't.

Just thinking out load. :)

Jimmie Houchin