[Squeakland] Squeak 'non-starter' in U.K. schools?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jul 9 09:02:34 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 09 July 2003 12:57 am, Darius Clarke wrote:

> I believe that Squeak/eToys UI severely underutilize lists and
> outlines as essential tools for Watching

[snip]

> But this could be easily rectified. ( I just need a little more
time.)

This is an interesting topic to me. I've written a (text) outliner
that I use all the time <http://bike-nomad.com/vim/vimoutliner.html>
and have found it really useful.

And I'm also working with the Tablet PC and Squeak, in conjunction
with my Connectors framework for Squeak.

One of the "sample apps" I'm doing is a quick
brainstorming/concept-mapping tool using ink (and/or recognized or
keyboarded text) and Connectors.

Once you have a bunch of items and can indicate some structure between
them (with Connectors, we draw lines between the items), you can
present that structure in different ways.

For instance, it can be turned into an outline (though of course a
typical outline (without aliases) is a tree structure rather than a
general graph like you can draw.

And an outline can be turned back into a shapes-and-lines graph
representation easily.

I'm curious as to what you think we could (or should) do with outlines
(and connected graphs, and ink, and gestures) in Squeak.

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com