Fwd: Re: I want to document but I need to learn first!

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at paradise.net.nz
Thu Mar 13 14:14:03 PST 2003

Subject: Re: I want to document but I need to learn first!
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:47
From: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell at paradise.net.nz>
To: Kim Rose <Kim.Rose at viewpointsresearch.org>

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 05:50, you wrote:
> Hi, Christopher -
>
> Thanks for your comments -- It's a small comment in a way, but, I
> should point out that both the Squeak and Squeakland websites are
> ".orgs" not ".coms".

Oh?? Why does the address resolve then?? See my command line;-

chris at liberty chris $ host www.squeakland.com
www.squeakland.com has address 65.104.119.41
_______________^^^

> This was done for explicit reasons and *should*
> inform visitors that we are not a commerical site or product driven.

I suspect that the reason the .com address is working is because the browsers
are all programmed to convert a single word into a fully qualified name in
the .com domain. Thus putting "Squeakland" in the location window of a
browser will work. It's nice but gives users the completely wrong impression
unless the forwarding to the .org page is done non-transparently.

> Your suggestion to emphasize the experimental nature/work in progress
> is a good one...we felt we had made that point, but perhaps not.  We
> are beginning to work on a site redesign and will take this into
> consideration.

The site is so well put together that one gets the distinct impression that
Squeak is a "going concern". It's a case of "actions speak louder than
words".

> I think you've hit on one of the most difficult parts of this work.
> It has been for me, certainly.   We are attempting several things
> with the development of Squeak and we are doing them simultaneously
> -- the way we look at it is that we are developing, living and
> working in a "Living Lab".   The bottom line of our work is
> *research*.  We are attempting to develop new media and tools to
> provide a means of deeper learning for children and adults.  However,
> this work cannot happen in isolation, so as we develop iterations,
> tools, etc., we must share and get users and their feedback.  We must
> grow our community.  We must USE the developments in "real world"
> environments AS we continue to refine, change, develop and improve
> them.  This is what we are attempting to do here. It is our hope that
> others, who might be more "product/commerically inclined" would take
> our research and perhaps develop "product" on top of it.  This would
> include documentation, curriclum, a support structure, etc., etc.
> Believe me, if anyone realizes how difficult it can be to live in a
> "Living Lab" world, it is me.  I am constantly pulled between
> "research" and "product" -- since many of our users/testers are
> approaching Squeak/Etoys as "product", but in fact, it is not.

Yes, I understand that. It must be difficult for you. I would just like to
give this little bit of practical feedback. If, a small word, but one with
much more meaning than its two letters imply, you want to get feedback from
people involved with both Squeak and the real world two things are really
important: That things work consistently. i.e. backwards compatibility is
really important: Error recovery is vital. My experience is that programs
break, because of incompatible upgrades to the interpreter, inappropriate
input or some other inexsplicable thing, and one is dumped into the pink
window of the Squeak Smalltalk debugger. imho that's a real no-no.

> I also think what we're all having difficulty with here is that our
> community is a mix of different types of people, which is wonderful,
> but something else we need to better understand.  Many of you have
> programming/computer science backgrounds;

That is my situation. I am essentially self taught, and know the methodolgy
 of programming and wanted to share my skill-set with my son. He, by the way,
 spent some time hovering around the subject, then dived in one day and
 produced a car track complete with a lake in the middle. The cars suddenly
 went slower and produced splashing noises when in the water. Having
 completed that he had the satisfaction of a completed project, and is now at
 a bit of a loss wondering what to do next, so life has moved on to other
 things for him. The wonderful thing Squeak did for him was that for the
 first time in his life he saw the point of using the written word to
 communicate instructions. We set up a book object to hold the user manual
 for the car game. As the parent of a child who was having great difficulty
 with written literacy it was joyous in the extreme to see this happening.
 Thank you.

> others have no programming
> experience but would like to think about how they might use computers
> to help understand complex ideas.  These different 'types' will look
> at "the Squeak elephant" in different ways -- so, conversations about
> learning "Smalltalk", for example,  are completely irrelevant to most
> elementary school teachers.

That may well be the case for you, living as you do in the strongest economy
in the world, but for those of us who live in situations where school is seen
very much as a vocational preparation for life, Squeak has the very real
advantage over other educational software in that it is written using an open
programming language which can be seen at the click of the mouse. Yvonne, the
talented ten year old, was continually clicking of the little square on the
tiles because she wanted to see what the computer had written for her.

For the parents and teachers I have spoken to, the fact that Smalltalk is a
real industrial strength computer language of great power and productivity
justified the precious time spent "playing at car races" on the computer. You
see, Squeak can be a very real first stepping stone on the way to the
industrial giants namely VisualWorks, SmalltalkX, GemStone, etc., etc.
Mastering these systems gives people the skill-set to become very viable
economic entities in a world dominated by those horrors called VB and Java.

> Anyways..I just thought I would take a minute to  re-emphasize the
> "Living Lab" nature of what we are trying to do here....We should
> make this more clear on the Squeakland site and we thank you for your
> continued input and interest.

Getting the balance between the experimental and producing something that can
be used in the real world is far from easy. I know that, and admire you folks
for having achieved it.