[Squeakland] Current image to use?

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at paradise.net.nz
Sun May 25 18:41:26 PDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003 03:20, Naala Brewer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> What is the best current squeak image to use to create new projects and/or
> interactive exploratory scaffolding?

I use this one on Linux.
chris at liberty chris $ squeak -version
3.4-1 #1 XShm Thu Mar 13 22:24:42 NZDT 2003 gcc 3.2.1
Squeak3.4 of 1 March 2003 [latest update: #5170]
Linux liberty.localnet 2.4.20-xfs_pre6 #1 Sat Mar 8 20:42:23 NZDT 2003 i686
Pentium II (Deschutes) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

It appears to work pretty well.

> Does the Squeakland plugin image now
> have the full capabilities that a Squeak image from "Squeak.Org" has?

Unfortunately not. I am aware that the beautiful TrueType variable font stuff
is missing. There are probably other features which have been removed in the
interests of image file size and simplicity for the tyro user, but I don't
know what they are.

> Or is it still best to create baseline lessons and explorations in a
> "Squeak.Org" Squeak image and then allow teachers/students/parents to
> create off-shoot projects using the internet and the plugin image?

No, the "Squeak.Org" Squeak image has more features than the plugin, so if
 you wish to share projects universally you have limit your projects to the
 plugin version. A most unfortunate limitation imho.

> Finally, is the newest version of swiki servers working well with the
> Squeakland plugin image and ".pr's" for accessing and utilizing squeak
> projects?

Apparently so.

--
C. S.