[Squeakland] 2 questions - embedding text box and keystroke listener

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Sun Dec 12 07:55:11 PST 2004

If you put the object to be embedded on the object which you want to be the
holder, then the embed popup will show you all the layers you can embed in
down to the world. If you want to be completely clear about what is going
where, you can do one of two things.
  . you can name the object that will be doing the holding by clicking on
the name that shows up with the halo, typing and hitting return (and this
name will then show in the embed popup), or
  . you can look at the red menu for the holder object and choose "open to
drag and drop". Now it will act like a playfield. The object will now
capture any object dropped on it (but this can be too much of a good thing,
so it is often good to turn this option off after you've done your desired
embedding.

Perhaps Scott or Ned can tell us about the current state of keyboard
listening in the etoy system (the feature is there but turned off, again
for good reasons).

Cheers,

Alan