[Squeakland] Join us at SqueakFest '04 - Chicago!!!

Kim Rose kim.rose at squeakland.org
Sun Feb 22 19:10:18 PST 2004

Dear Squeaklanders,

The Interactive Multimedia and Early Childhood Education Programs at
Columbia College Chicago and Viewpoints Research Institute cordially
invite you to attend SqueakFest '04 on the summer shores of Lake
Michigan in Chicago.

SqueakFest '04 will be Thursday, August 5, to Saturday, August 7 (two
full-day sessions on Thursday and Friday, and a morning session on
Saturday). There is no registration fee. We hope that all
participants will be able to attend the entire workshop. Out-of-town
participants should plan to arrive on Wednesday, August 4, in order
to attend the opening session.

SqueakFest '04 is also co-sponsored by Columbia's School of Media
Arts and School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, home, respectively, of
the Interactive Multimedia and Early Childhood Education Programs.

We welcome participants from elementary, junior high, and high
schools, and education programs at institutions of higher-education.

Professional development units will be available at no charge for
public schoolteachers through Columbia's School of Liberal Arts and
Sciences. When responding, please indicate if you are interested in
receiving these credits. Details will follow.

SqueakFest '04 follows the first SqueakFest, held last August at
Columbia College Chicago and judged a resounding success by
participants. In response to the evaluations, we plan to make a few
changes in the schedule for this year. Again, we hope to assemble a
critical mass of folks to discuss best practices and practical
considerations. We hope that attendees will arrive with examples and
details of student projects, lesson plans, assessment details,
stories, anecdotes, pedagogical approaches, and the like. What
worked? What didn't work? Why? What can we draw as conclusions, learn
from, and do differently (or the same) in the future. Most
importantly: What can we learn from, and teach, each other?

This year, in addition to large and collective group sessions, we
will conduct concurrent sessions to accommodate participants with
varying expertise and experience utilizing Squeak and Etoys in
practical settings, from the novice users to the advanced users.

There will be plenty of time for attendees to break out into sessions
by subject areas, by grades, and by levels of expertise.

There will also be time for educators to provide feedback on teaching
and using Squeak (features? interface? implementation?) to the
developers.

A detailed program will be ready in a few weeks.

At the conclusion of SqueakFest '04, the IM Program will post and
serve Squeak projects brought to or sent to the workshop, as well as
other documentation.

Here are details about nearby accommodations:

Chicago Hilton: $139 per night, single, (booked at
http://www.hotels.com; other rates available). $160/night regular
rate.
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=LCNSHYO53JCQ2CSGBIXM22QKIYFCVUUC?ctyhocn=CHICHHH
1-312-922-4400

Essex Inn: $99 per night single/double, $109 triple, $119 quad.
http://www.essexinn.com or 800-621-6909. Mention Interactive Media
Symposium. 1-800-621-6909.

Best Western Grant Park: $109 single/double/triple/quad.
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=14120
1-800-472-6875

These hotels are within an easy four-block walk of the SqueakFest '04 site.

We can also advise you on other accommodations.

There are also a limited number (first to reserve, first confirmed)
of rooms available at the college's Residence Center, the site of
SqueakFest '04: $55 per night per person. Accommodations include:

Two bedrooms, with a total of four single beds.
One bedrooms, with two single beds.
Three bedrooms, with a total of six single beds.

Rooms have cooking appliances, but no utensils. Bed linens and towels
are included, but not pillows. There is a weight room and a laundry
room.

Reservations for the ResCenter must be made by calling 312-344-7803,
between the hours of 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. A deposit of half
of the balance is due one month prior to arrival, with the balance
due two weeks before arrival. Cancellations can be made two weeks
prior to arrival without penalty; after that, there will be a $50
cancellation charge. Deposits and balances can be made payable by
check or money order to:

Columbia College Chicago Filmmakers 731. S. Plymouth Court, Chicago,
IL 60605, Attention: Kelli Collins.

Continental breakfasts and boxed lunches will be provided at the
SqueakFest site.

Columbia College Chicago is the country's largest arts, media, and
communications school, with an enrollment approaching 10,000
students, and offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees. At the
undergraduate level, it is open-admissions, by mission and
philosophy. It is located in Chicago's South Loop, adjacent to Grant
Park and Lake Michigan, and is convenient to the city's many museums
and other cultural and popular attractions.

Attendance will be limited. Reply with your interest to:

Kim Rose: Kim.Rose at squeakland.org
AND
Wade Roberts: wroberts at colum.edu

Columbia College Chicago: http://www.colum.edu