[Squeakland] How to "manual"

John Voiklis voiklis at redfigure.org
Fri Jan 23 11:53:50 PST 2004

Hello Phil,

> > With that said, I'm thinking that there's still a need for a more
> > comprehensive eToy reference, something that attempts to cover it all.

As you may remember, I started working on such a project late last spring;
I made great progress through the summer (see
http://workshop.madeleinelengle.org/SqueakManual), but, in the fall,
starting my doctoral studies ground that docs work to a halt.
Documentation is very much part of my r&d efforts while in school, but I
fear that I won't be able to work on it with any real concentration until
the summer again.

While I am sure that my doctoral studies will help inform a better manual,
the delays leave me with the feeling that I have let everyone down.

> > So, here's what I'm thinking. Let's collaborate. I've figured out how
> > to "do" any number of things in the eToy environment, some with help
> > from others, some by exploring on my own. I'm sure that's true of
> > others as well. If everyone (wishful thinking, I know) would
> > contribute an idea or two we could create a very useful compendium of

Collaboration is a great idea and one I suggested just before I
started school. Any resulting manual would have to be edited to have a
single authorial voice, but that doesn't mean that it has to be put
together by a single author (another major focus of my research). I did
not "take the job" for the glory, but because I needed such a manual for
the work I do; so anyone who wants to contribute to such an
effort please, please come forward.

I don't mean to rob you of your steam, Phil, nor do I mean to co-opt any
collaborative project. I simply want to make it clear that I commited
myself to this project last spring and, whether this becomes a
collaboration or remains a one-person job, I plan to live up to
that commitment.

Best,

John