[Squeakland] Assessment

Doug Wolfgram doug at gfx.com
Fri Mar 26 08:13:16 PST 2004

I hope this isn't off-topic, but it occurs to me that e-toys and Squeak are
the perfect tool for what I would like to see change at our school...

Recently, we invited Jill Tarter to come and speak at my daughter's
school.  She was very well received and her promotion of math and science
was close to my heart, as I believe that all children should have a good
foundation in the sciences.

Then I started thinking about Alan's demonstration of Squeak and the
gravity exercises, etc. I realized that from my experience (please correct
me if I'm wrong) most lower school math and science assessments assess only
what a child has already learned, whereas with Squeak and e-toys, we can
assess what they are CAPABLE of learning.

Isn't this more valuable information? Do those of you who are educators
think this way?  Am I just behind the curve here and all of you regular
squeakers are saying "duh, we've been doing that?" :)

This has special meaning to me because my daughter, like me when I was in
lower school, tends to make careless errors on math tests from going too
fast. So this keeps her out of some of the advanced math pull-outs. Yet the
kids in those pull-outs come to her for help because she knows the math and
if she doesn't, can figure it out very quickly or knows who to ask and
isn't afraid because she is very confident about her ability to understand
what she will hear as a response. This seems to me to be a very big failing
in this particular school anyway.

___

"Interactive Media that WORKS."

Doug Wolfgram