[Squeakland] Newbie installation question - security system fails

Randy Heiland heiland at indiana.edu
Thu Oct 21 05:48:26 PDT 2004

I just realized that I too have this situation and the timing is crucial as
I'm going out to a Girl Scouts computer lab today to have their sysadmin
install Squeak.  However, the fix(es) you suggested, Michael, don't work for
me.  This could be due to my lack of knowledge on Windows, but here's my
brief summary.

I installed Squeak under my personal/Admin acct, then created a 'tester'
acct.  Running Squeak from tester, I have symptoms similar to what Herb
described, i.e., it starts up with a msg "Initializing security system..."
(something that I don't see when running on my acct) and then I get "Error:
a primitive has failed" with the Store log|Abandon|Debug choices.  As Herb
said, hitting Abandon and continuing seems to allow one to run normally,
including being able to save projects.  (So, this is really just a nuisance
bug, but one I'd rather not have when trying to instill confidence to
sysadmins/newbies about installing/running Squeak).

I then tried to give write permission to c:\My Squeak, as you suggested.
And here's where my Windows ignorance plays out.  Right-mouse on this folder
and going to Properties, I turn off the "Read Only" button, apply to all
subfolders, but it doesn't seem to stick.  Closing the Properties and
opening it up again shows the "Read only" button selected again.  I then go
to the "Sharing" tab and attempt to turn on share with others, including
dragging it to the Shared Documents, but I still get the same error msg when
running from tester.  I'm at a loss.

About "seeing only half of bottom row of Supplies", yes, that does indeed
seem to be the default behavior when you simply click on the tab (attached
image).  However, maybe Herb doesn't realize that you can simply drag the
Supplies tab itself up higher to see everything in that bottom/2nd row.
Then the next time you open the Supplies tab with a single click, it'll
remember its previous height.

BTW, I sent in a different question to this list yesterday, but it still
hasn't shown.  I may have asked before, but is this a human-filtered list?
It seems like a rather lengthy delay.

--Randy