[Squeakland] mathematical text in squeak

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at merida.uned.es
Fri Apr 29 05:14:02 PDT 2005

I am trying to build an electronic book for maths using squeak. I have
developed  an interface to use maxima ( http://maxima.sourceforge.net/
) and show the results formatted in squeak, and developed some
exercising tools.
But now I am having problems trying to insert  text
inside Squeak. The text is being written by a maths expert friend, and
he is using latex for that. Latex output can be html, rtf, pdf, ps,
etc. But no one of those formats can be seen correctly in Squeak. The
easiest way seemed to be html, so I tried it using scamper or using
openoffice and the openoffice importer in squeak, but I always get the
same problem: vertical alignment. I haven't been able to find any way
to align correctly the mathematical formulas between the text.
So , any ideas? is there a ps or pdf working renderer for squeak? Does anybody
have any idea about who to edit formulas inside squeak?. It could be
really important in education if we could  make electronic books using
the interactivity, simulation and multimedia capabilities of squeak
with scientific texts. If anybody thinks this is a question for the squeak-dev
mailing list, feel free to forward it or tell it to me and I will do
it.

Regards.