[Squeakland] generate a movie?

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Mon Feb 13 13:18:35 PST 2006

Another of this annoying "It would be nice to have but I don't have
time for it right now..."-posts:

The current event recorder (found in Objects Presentations) is pixel/
graphic oriented
and quite broken, eg. it barks on color-picking or parameter-changing.

A nice feature of an upcoming squeak(land)/tweak version could be the
possibility
to log all user actions as high-level-commands like "open supplies
flap" "drag-n-drop playfield A into world"
"drag-n-drop playfield B into playfield A" "Open Viewer on B" "Create
Color Changing Command of B" etc...
you get the idea.

To record the canonical car-demo, one still would need to log pixel-
based paint-strokes of fat black tires of course...

An advantage of such a more content and less pixel-oriented approach
could be more compatibility
between different images (be it squeakland or squeak-dev) and that
one could render
the log into some silent movie or latex/rtf format.

If one could annotate each command with a (spoken) comment, one
should be able to render
the whole story into a non silent movie too.

Cheers,

Markus