[Squeakland] Demoing Etoys to kids

Luke Gorrie luke at member.fsf.org
Sat Aug 11 03:58:57 PDT 2007

Howdy!

Can anyone suggest a fun way to demo Etoys to kids aged around 10-12?

A friend and I are helping out with a couple of summer camps for kids
and we're looking for an opportunity to bring Etoys into the mix,
either one on one or with a small group, and for only a short period
of time (30-60 minutes, say). Most of the kids only speak arabic, we
have one OLPC XO and several other laptops.

Our first idea was the "Etoys Challenge for Novices" from the OLPC XO
but we wonder if this is a bit ambitious based on half an hour with a
bright 12-year-old who can read english (I'm not sure).

What we'd like is for kids to be amused and to have some glimpse of
what a computer is like, and for ourselves to learn a bit about how
kids deal with computers. Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers,
-Luke