[Squeakland] the non universals

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 11:34:14 PDT 2007

On Wed August 15 2007 4:18 am, David Corking wrote:
> If Logo, Etoys and OLPC can teach calculus to 10-year-olds, and
> calculus is essential to every engineering craft, and teachers love
> encouraging students' creativity, why are so many schools teaching
> pupils to use word processors instead?
>
> Puzzled, David

This is a question I ask often of teachers. Here I am, probably in an area
that is one of the most financially rich with highly educated people on the
planet (Silicon Valley, CA) and I have never been given a satisfactory
answer. It's not that the teachers don't want help nor more tricks in their
bag. The vast majority of teachers I've met are very dedicated to their
students. But, the local highschool's "Computer" class is how to run MS
Office. Their advance "Computer" class is more MS Office. I don't get it.

brad