[Squeakland] the non universals

Kim Rose kim.rose at vpri.org
Wed Aug 15 16:25:04 PDT 2007

Hi, Brad -

I think it's a common finding (at least in the U.S.) that schools are
trying to prepare students "for the workplace" and thus today's
education is largely vocational.  Therefore, the belief holds that
teaching word processing will ultimately be more valuable to students
than calculus.  My experience is that parents' attitudes perpetuate
this phenomenon.  Another reason may be that more teachers understand
word processing and are more comfortable *teaching*  "MS Office" than
calculus.

   --  Kim