[Squeakland] the non universals

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Fri Aug 24 04:53:56 PDT 2007

And they are concrete in the way they are precisely because children
of this age don't generalize the way older children and adults do,
but by "carrying a bushel basket of 'similar things that work
similarly' ". They are not patterns from the outside but are more
like analogies that the child gathers together from doing many kinds
of thing with a powerful idea like "increase by". Later the bushel
basket starts to become an idea of its own,  first as a heuristic to
try when thinking in problem solving, and finally by enlarging itself
into a kind of thing on its own. This is interestingly like
Vygotsky's theory of concept formation in much younger children, but
the resemblences could be accidental.

Cheers,

Alan