[Squeakland] Squeak fails to run after install: security problems?

Simon Guest simon.guest at tesujimath.org
Tue Feb 6 13:25:26 PST 2007

Hi,

I'm a maths teacher (and ex software engineer), and have been playing
with the developer version of Squeak for a while now, and although the
learning curve is fairly steep, I am using it successfully in school.

I see that the Squeakland release is recommended for teachers over the
squeak.org version, I guess because etoys have been made to work
nicely.  However, I am experiencing severe frustration in getting it
to run.  What is the security model?

Here's the problem.  On WinXP, I install it as administrator.  As soon
as I try to run as a normal user, it fails ("a primitive has failed",
although the error message is in German).  I think this is because I
cannot write to the image file, quite rightly, since it is owned by
the administrator, and as a normal user I could not be trusted not to
muck it up.

So I copied the image file into my own directory, and ran the
Squeakland vm on it, but it fails with the same error.  Can anyone
help?

I'm a little discouraged, as I'm wondering how I will persuade much
less technically oriented colleagues in school that Squeak is useful
for teaching if the installation is a black art.  I am sure my mode of
use must be the most common among school users of Squeak.  Could it
not be supported by the default install?

cheers,
Simon