[Squeakland] Weird Heading numbers

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Sat May 26 09:47:40 PDT 2007

Yes -- thanks Paulo.

Logo uses all child centric references such as
right and left with the reference being up = N.
One of the experiments early on in Etoys was to
see how well + and - could be used in place of
right and left with ~ 7 year olds. This was going
to be part of a whole vectorized cuisinaire rods
approach to numbers (that used some results we
got in the Vivarium) that were unified with the
number line way of thinking of + and - as
directions (also right and left) of one dimensional vectors.

When the Etoys demo started being used in schools
(instead of the home as originally planned) we
found that grades 4-5-6 were a better fit with
the tradeoffs between what children can do and
what adults want to learn. So we never carried
through the concrete number representations originally planned.

(However, now we are going to because the OLPC XO
needs to have a K-12 range. This actually
requires a somewhat different approach to Etoys
than the demo version we have now, and we are
working on it, which supporting current Etoys for the various XO builds.)

Most adult conventions and forms have huge QWERTY
components which make learning more difficult for
children. However, eventually the conventions
need to be added in. It's imperative to start
children thinking in the strongest and most
intuitive way -- then we can figure out how to
merge in the somewhat ad hoc conventions that
adults have devised. Various ways of thinking
about numbers, lengths, directions, magnitudes
etc is a ideal way to eventually get to some of
these conventions. But, e.g. trying to get
children started into real numeracy with
positional notation is really bad, even though it
is a mainstream convention ... the general result
in America is that children don't get numerate,
even though they are forced to learn how to parrot a few of the conventions.

Cheers,

Alan