However ...Re: [Squeakland] Panel discussion: Can the American Mind be Opened?

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 03:47:46 PST 2007

Good discussion :-)

To be honest I've never been certain about the best way to teach "number"
and have tended to try a smorgasboard in practice

Perhaps Alan is correct David?

Professor Wu (good mathematician) is making a brave attempt to make the
teaching of algorithms to young children more concrete but his approach
still puts too many demands on most children. From my experience of teaching
of maths I feel that for disadvantaged students too many eyes would glaze
over for some of the steps. It might work for his children but not for 90%
of children.

I still feel that he makes some valid points and criticisms. I like the
transparency and open-ness of his paper, as well as the conceptual position
put by its title.

Another paper by Ellerton and Clements identifies the main issue as this:
"... many children who correctly answered pencil-and-paper fraction
questions such as 5/11 x 792 =3D q could not pour out one-third of a glass =
of
water, and of those who could, only a small proportion had any idea of what
fraction of the original full glass of the original full glass of water
remained"
- Fractions: A Weeping Sore in Mathematics Education
http://www.aare.edu.au/92pap/ellen92208.txt

Some form of effective kitchen maths needs to come before algorithms.

At this stage I'm left with more questions than answers.

-- =

Bill Kerr
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/