[Squeakland] Importing wav files

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Sep 22 07:32:14 PDT 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, at 22:05 , karl wrote:

> subbukk wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do I import a wav file into Squeak? The filelist dialog
>> doesn't recognize wav files as sound files. The SoundRecorder
>> widget only generates sound tiles but cannot export/import wav :-(
> Sound import is well hidden in Squeak. But it is possible:
> (SampledSound fromWaveFileNamed: 'c:\windows\media\chimes.wav') play
>
> I have been looking at these classes lately and have been thinking
> at different solutions. One thing I was wondering about is whether
> filedialogs are abounded in OLPC

Yes - at least for the time being. There may be dialogs for selecting
media from the Journal later but those have not been implemented by
the Sugar developers, yet, and may not be implemented before the
first release.

> and just drag and drop supported ?

Yes. We should add some visual representation for a dropped sound
file, which supports play back. Like a very simple sound tile with
just the name on it and a tiny play button. I think that would be
preferable to opening a WaveEditor (even if that was fixed), although
we might do this as a quick fix.

> And there is no sound library tool which could reference all sounds
> present in the Etoys sound tiles. How should such a tool be
> implemented ? Like a book ?

Maybe a parts bin with all these little tiles? Or like the object
catalog where we have sorting and filtering options? That would be a
nice contribution. The core developers must focus on fixing bugs and
implement missing support now (it's only one month to First
Deployment), but I for one welcome such improvements from others.

- Bert -