[squeakland] Re: Introductions

teefal timothy at squeakland.org
Wed Jul 8 11:02:29 EDT 2009

I'm Tim Falconer, a software developer from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

I've run a small software shop for 11+ years, which mostly helps much larger  companies do a better job making software.  We've also got a soft spot for non-profits, which is why we started Waveplace (http://waveplace.com) a few years back.  Since then I was asked by Viewpoints Research to help launch Squeakland Foundation, which is quite a honor for me.

At the start of Waveplace, we evaluated Etoys, Scratch, Alice, PicoCrickets, and Lego Mindstorms for our pilots in the Caribbean.  We were all set to use Scratch, but then we went to Squeakfest 2007.  In those three days, it became entirely clear that Etoys was the only choice.

Since then, I've done my best to make the benefits of Etoys more apparent to newcomers.  There really is a moment when a lightbulb goes on and they get it, but before that it can be difficult.  As someone once told me, "Scratch is low entry, low ceiling and Etoys is high entry, high ceiling."   My long term goal is to lower the barriers of entry to Etoys in whatever way I can.  Along the way, I'd also like to inspire teachers to use Etoys throughout the school, not just the computer lab.

Anyway, enough from me.  Enjoy the forums!

(from forum)
http://squeakland.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=47#47

Attachments:
http://squeakland.org/forums/files/tim_802.jpg