[Squeakland] painting with Etoys

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sun Mar 1 05:19:47 PST 2009

Hi all,

I'm just reading a thread on the sugar labs mailing list about paint
programs on the XO. Caroline Meeks is requesting a tool like Kid Pix
or Tux Paint on the XO, based on her experiences on a Preschool in
Boston.

That reminds me of a discussion about lowering the threshold into
Etoys by using it as a painting tool. I think, Yoshiki answered a
question about that. I'm not sure on which mailing list this
discussion took place. But nevertheless I think it is a very
interesting thought to have an Etoys version that maybe starts with
the paint tool open? I have seen children drawing happily with Etoys
and even remember Bert doing a nice project for our kids: he just put
a holder on the screen and prepared an animation script. The kids
could draw whatever they wanted and put their drawings in the holder,
thus changing the animation. They did that on my computer, but each of
them had it's own flap, where they stored their drawings. They did
that while I was away and showed it to me when I came back. It was so
lovely! (And I really liked to look in their flaps, seeing all the
objects floating around like the toys in their kid's room:)

So what do you think about that?

Greetings,
Rita