[squeakland] the reasons for ranking

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Wed Sep 30 08:44:47 EDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 11:08 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> At Tue, 29 Sep 2009 22:45:08 -0400,
> Timothy Falconer wrote:
>>
>> I think the piece that's missing here is that it will be pretty rare
>> to actually change from one level to another, especially for younger
>> children.
>
>  Is this based on the logic described at
> http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-361?  It would be a bit
> surprizing to hear because "maxMojo" change alone affects everybody's
> rank.  Since the owner of maxMojo probably will earn more points
> quicker than others, and the ranks are linear scale of the point, I
> would expect to see bigger disparity over time.

Some of the details have changed since that list, but yes, the
mojoLevel formula is current.

Over time, some people will continue to contribute and others will
stop.   The formula rewards sustained effort, not past performance.

Again, this is not a grade ... it's a thank you.

>> Yes, we could take the colored circles off the website.   I think
>> that
>> people are finding them fun, at least the people I'm talking to,
>> and I
>> think there's genuine value in knowing that a commenter is a regular
>> and not a puppet account.
>
>  Well, people should actually look at the contents to judge the
> quality of comments.  I've been writing fairly stupid comments.  They
> should be treated so.

Originally we were going to rank comments, but recently I decided that
would be just too much for people to have to do.

Comment points are a recognition of effort ... not a grade, but a
thank you.

When comment scribbling gets turned on (see the tracker), we'll have a
way to prevent bogus comments from gaming the system.