[squeakland] Transalating Text in Etoys - followup from education committee question

kharness at illinois.edu kharness at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 23 15:02:40 EST 2010

Hello,
Thanks to everyone for all the information about translations. I tried all the suggestions about highlighting text, changing languages in the Navbar and typing the same text in the new language. It did indeed switch back and forth.

There are several problems though in the guides because of all the illustrations and screen prints:
1. the text no longer fits nicely, kerning helps
2. the examples such as screen prints of scripts are not changed and young/beginners will benefit from having the continuity from examples matching the informational text
3. some of the hand drawn objects such as the warning sign on page 1 of Halo:Menu need to be translated too and really won't benefit from switching on the fly from one language to another when using the quick guides.

In the Spanish, Sdenka Salas Pilco translated every thing and the Spanish version is faithful to the spirit and content of the ones in English. If an object is called a bee, she renamed it "abeya". The Italian QG's lack tiles and menus in Italian but the informational text and drawings are ready when that part of the translations are done. I had a volunteer for the italian and accepted the help when it was offered.

If Bert's suggestion below leads to local images having customized quick guides, I am in favor of that. If people want the Spanish version couldn't they choose Spanish from a grid of download options ready to go without having to deselect English and change to Spanish? I don't know what is involved in that suggestion from the developer's point of view. But teachers never like to say, "do it exactly like this except. . .  ours is a green border not black, the name is wrong, the location is different etc, otherwise exactly the same."

I am meeting with someone in mid-March who will translate the QGs into Modern Greek. Is a Greek font available in Etoys? I found if I choose Greek-download additional fonts- that the script tiles changed okay. Now, how do I type Greek using the text from Supplies?

Your advice is very welcome!
Regards,
Kathleen