[squeakland] problem with location of Etoys players

Louis LaBrunda Lou at LaBrunda.Info
Wed Sep 29 18:30:06 EDT 2010

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for all the help.

>You could try to embedded a 1 x 1 object in the "blob" and test if that
>overlaps.
>Another would be to check the distance of the blob from the center of the
>pie using the "distance to" in the observation category. Of course you would
>be change the meaning of hit.  Also you can check out Yoshiki's Monte Carlo
>Pi
><http://www.squeakland.org/launcher/?http://www.squeakland.org/content/showcase/everyone/accounts/yoshiki/MonteCarlo%20Pi.004.pr>using
>kedama (which is a completely different way of doing it and would not fit
>your pizza sauce method of explanation, but it is very well done and has a
> nice explanation.

I had thought of using the distance to the center of the pizza but couldn't
find the tile for it.  Thanks for pointing me to it.  I'm still learning my
way around.

Along those lines, I would like to remove all viewers from a script that
resets the project to run but can't find a tile I can use for it.  I would
also like to open viewers for players from a script.

Can you point me to a document or web page that will help me learn more
about the Etoys maybe a level down from the script tiles that players show
now.

One last question, I put a copy of "Etoys to Go" on a memory stick and it
runs just fine from windows but when I try it from Ubuntu, things don't go
so well.  When I try to run the Etoys.exe file, it complains about it being
a compressed file or something like that.  When I drill down into what
looks like the Linux executable and double click on it, nothing happens.

At the moment I don't need to run on Linux but I thought the whole point of
"Etoys to Go" was to be able to create a project on one computer (like a
windows machine) and run/continue it on another (like a Linux or Mac box).
I would like to tout this feature to others but I'm hesitant to do so until
I can confirm it works.

Lou