[squeakland] Etoys on an interactive whiteboard?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri Feb 25 08:22:40 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Steve Thomas wrote (resending to list):
> I tried it on a whiteboard and here is what I recall.
> Getting the right click took a while to figure out. If you know the model #
> and version of the software you can  download the manual before you start
> your tests.  There should be a way as I recall to setup "multiple finger
> touch" to "right click" and get the halo, but I also recall it required some
> setup time and if time is limited there is a two touch method where I
> touched something in the smartboard's palette that made my next touch a
> right click.
> One thing you will notice as well is that depending on the placement of the
> projector you can block the image if you are in the wrong spot (between the
> projector and a particular section of the screen you want to see/touch.
> One of the difficulties I believe Bert had was being able to touch the thing
> you want for small objects on a small screen.  On a white board the "screen
> size" is rather large and most objects were large enough that I do not
> recall having that problem.
> I may be able to get access to a Smartboard again for some more test.
> Another thought you may want to try to give yourself more time is setup a
> WiiMote Whiteboard http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/ all you need is a projector and a Wii Remote.  If you
> don't have a projector you can also use it on your monitor.

Thanks for the tips, Steve.

I most expect to encounter trouble with "hover" actions, such as
balloon helps, and the "is under mouse" tile.

I will experiment with the palette and with multi-touch for right
click if I get time.

I think the only use of right-click is to make halos appear, but I may
be wrong.  Maybe there is another interaction style someone can dream
up for halos.

The most exciting possibility to me is to see two or more students
work on an Etoys world at the same time. Bert mentions multiple
pointers in his video. (The classroom will be empty so I won't see
students this time, but I do have two hands!)

David