[squeakland] About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 00:46:57 EDT 2011

Hi, sorry for the delay.

I just came back from Montevideo for Ceibal Virtual Educa. It was a great
event. And today before leaving to Buenos Aires we went to a school fair
where children of 8 and 9 years old showed the work they did with the XOs.
It was great! There were some animated short stories, kids making music,
comics, animations, and a lot of presentations about different subjects. One
kid showed me how to make a bar graph in Etoys. It was so cool! :)

I noticed, however, that most of the kids use Etoys merely as some sort of
enhanced powerpoint but few of them actually see its potential for
simulations and programming (they use Scratch or TurtleArt for that). I know
that my sensation after seeing just a couple of students doesn't count as
valid statistics, and I also know that there have been a lot of discussions
about this in the list, but I can't help thinking something is wrong and I
wanted to share it.

Anyway, coming back to the subject of this mail, regarding my changes of
Skeleton: yes, I used the same code from GSoC except for the CSV parser
which is now much better.

Regarding charts, calendar and graphics I/O: I will fix the number lines
with the suggestions from you and steve and then I'll make a project with
everything included. Or do you mean a whole new version of Etoys?

Cheers,
Richo

On Thursday, October 27, 2011, Randall Caton <rcaton at cnu.edu> wrote:
> Ricardo,
>
> I looked at your project with skeleton and on the surface it is the same
as what your wrote for GSoC. Either would be great with me. I couldn't
evaluate which underlying code is better.

Exactly, I used the same code except for the CSV parser which is now much
better.

> I would also like to see your chart, calendar and graphics IO objects
included. Would it be possible for you to make a version of Etoys that has
all those in it so we could test it on the XO?

Cheers,
Richo

> Thank you for continuing your great work.
>
> Randy
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Ricardo Moran <richi.moran at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys, I haven't received any response from Avi Bryant regarding the
license of his csv parser, probably because I might have an old/incorrect
mail. But anyway, it doesn't matter, because it's easy to write one. So I
uploaded a new version of Skeleton with my little csv parser and I moved the
CSV package to treated.
> I think this version is good enough to be integrated in Etoys, what do you
think?
> Cheers,
> Richo
> P.S. I attached a simple project in order to help educators test it
without going through Monticello :)