[squeakland] Etoys on Chromebook?

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Feb 6 06:30:03 EST 2013

>>  but I am trying to
>> confirm that one way or the other. Etoys-to-Go hasn't gotten me anywhere --
>> anything I try to run just tells me that the file type is not supported.
>> It
>> seems the most viable solution would be a Google Chrome extension...

You might be right.

I took a quick look at the Chrome developer docs this morning, and
there seem to be all kinds of restrictions preventing someone
packaging a 100 MB application to run on the Chromebook.

Some kind of Javascript wrapper and VM as Kazuhiro Abe suggested might
be the only way - apart from jailbreaking your device.

While it is not in scope at the moment - open platforms such as
Windows Mac and Linux, including the OLPC, are the main targets - I
wouldn't say it as impossible.

A lot of the underlying infrastructure has already been ported to
Javascript by Jens Moenig and Brian Harvey's SNAP! project at
Berkeley, so with the right volunteers or funding, an 'Etoys-lite' for
the web might not be very far away. I haven't run SNAP! myself lately,
so I can only guess that the full multimedia potential of Etoys, or
compatibility with existing materials, might be a lot further away.

Anyway, I am just another Squeaker - not a spokesperson for anyone
else. Have fun! David.