[squeakland] detect key pressed?

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Wed Jul 10 21:53:13 EDT 2013

Nicco,

In the "Object Catalog" under "Just for Fun" you will find a "Key Press"
morph.  This should meet your needs.

What exactly is the error you are getting when trying to run Etoys 5?  ,
What OS are you using?

Stephen

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Nicco Kunzmann <niccokunzmann at rambler.ru>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> when developing games with eToys it is important to know whether a key
> is pressed or released.
> This way multiple actions can be controlled at the same time. Something
> like:
>
> if (key pressed? <up>)
> if (key pressed? <w>)
>
> However I only found "last keystroke".
>       Is there something built in?
> or: Do I need to develop this myself?
> or: Do sources exist that add this behaviour?
> I found this: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/488 and I downloaded eToys 5
> from the website.
> But I can not get it to run.
>
> Greetings,
> Nicco

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program
is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing
easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and
complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it.
This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's
software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill
of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its
complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent
JavaScript<http://eloquentjavascript.net/index.html>
)