[SqNOS] Small fix and questions

Ryan Macnak rmacnak at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 18:20:05 UTC 2011

>> I notice the idle primitive is implemented with a HLT now, but
>> SqueakNOS still uses full processor for me.  Any idea why?
>
> There must be something wrong, because it doesn't (use to) happen to us. On
> a core i3 380 laptop, over VMWare it should take 5% of CPU. I'd bet there is
> a smalltalk process running in background hogging the cpu. Does it happen
> with all images (squeak and pharo)?

This happens for both the March release (Pharo-based) and my version
with Newspeak (Squeak42-based).  I don't see anything suspicious in
the process browser.  I am using VirtualBox, not VMWare, but Ubuntu in
VirtualBox does not become a CPU hog, so I don't think that is it.

> Lastly, a problem of smalltalk (at least in Pharo/Squeak) is that there
> isn't
> any kind of isolation, all processes live in the same address space. It
> would be really good to have a way of segmenting the image, having separate
> processes in separate address spaces, an some kind of protection. I think
> that's the next step.

In my mind, the way to go is to use Newspeak's modularity to isolate
programs.  Of course, currently this can be undermined by accessing
Smalltalk classes and unenforced private methods, so there is still a
ways to go.

Ryan