[SqNOS] Small fix and questions

Javier Pimás elpochodelagente at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 21:30:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Ryan Macnak <rmacnak at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I notice the idle primitive is implemented with a HLT now, but
> >> SqueakNOS still uses full processor for me.  Any idea why?
> >
> > There must be something wrong, because it doesn't (use to) happen to us.
> On
> > a core i3 380 laptop, over VMWare it should take 5% of CPU. I'd bet there
> is
> > a smalltalk process running in background hogging the cpu. Does it happen
> > with all images (squeak and pharo)?
>
> This happens for both the March release (Pharo-based) and my version
> with Newspeak (Squeak42-based).  I don't see anything suspicious in
> the process browser.  I am using VirtualBox, not VMWare, but Ubuntu in
> VirtualBox does not become a CPU hog, so I don't think that is it.

If you can, please try using VMWare to see if it keeps happening. We've seen
this full CPU usage before, but never nailed it down. It seemed to happen
pseudo-randomly with some images. Maybe it's the emulator, who knows.

> > Lastly, a problem of smalltalk (at least in Pharo/Squeak) is that there
> > isn't
> > any kind of isolation, all processes live in the same address space. It
> > would be really good to have a way of segmenting the image, having
> separate
> > processes in separate address spaces, an some kind of protection. I think
> > that's the next step.
>
> In my mind, the way to go is to use Newspeak's modularity to isolate
> programs.  Of course, currently this can be undermined by accessing
> Smalltalk classes and unenforced private methods, so there is still a
> ways to go.

That's interesting because I've been looking at newspeak for some time
and it might be the right anwser. I'm reading gilad's paper about mirrors
just by now, but I'd also like to see it working in practice to believe it
hehe.

I'll commit your changes asap, but I'm pretty busy right now, so expect two
days until I open an image.

Cheers,
          Jaier.

--