[UI] ToolBuilder

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 22:25:25 UTC 2007

On 08/09/2007, Karl <karl.ramberg at comhem.se> wrote:
> Jason Johnson wrote:
> > On 9/8/07, Matthew Fulmer <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The default squeak browsers use the Pluggable*Morphs, whose sole
> >> purpose was to get the toolset, which was and still is written
> >> for MVC, to work in Morphic. They are not terribly useful morphs
> >> and are not representative of Morphic at all. They are the
> >> keepers of most of the "Unspeakable Horrors" in Morphic.
> >> Unfortunately, due to the popularity of the toolset, these
> >> widgets have given the average squeak developer a bad image of
> >> Morphic.
> >>

> > This may be naive, but from reading the Self papers, my impression of
> > what Morphic was supposed to be about was rapidly building GUI's.  For
> > example, from reading that paper I would expect to be able to grab a
> > "bare window" morph, a big "text area" morph, a menu morph, 4 flap
> > morphs (one for each side), each with a tab morph inside and have a
> > shell that looks like the InteliJ IDE in about 5 minutes.
> >
> This part of the Morphic implementation was never done in Squeak. There
> is work in this direction here: http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/EasyMorphicGUI

Yes, but personally i don't like how EasyMorphic stores stuff. It
serializes morphs in bytearray.
It would be much better to be able to generate a methods source code
(or compiled methods) which will, when executed, build up and
initialize widgets you created in visual editor.
As i remember, in C# (and maybe in Delphi) , all properties which you
entered during interaction with visual editor translated to source
code.

> Karl

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.