[UI] Modality and hanging UI [was: Re: Transcript>>show: slowness.]

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 22:24:10 UTC 2007

There is a good mechanism missing in current morphic code - a modality.
Because everything is modeless, its impossible to disable some
morph(s) until some other will not return. Or at least prevent it from
receiving any events from user.

As in case of MC, a good way would be: when i pressing 'Load', a
window becomes gray (disabled), so i can't press anything , only move
it, and progress bar appears showing downloading/installing progress
(with cancel button).
Canceling in progress bar can be done easily - if we using separate
process which progress we showing, then 'cancel' action could simply
terminate this process and then execute clean-up code, which can be
provided as well.

Meanwhile, while MC window is disabled i should be able to do anything
else i like: browsing/coding/chatting..
Why user must wait for completion of single operation, when he can
spend his time more productive?

On 10/09/2007, Gary Chambers <gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Not just the obvious cases. I don't like the way that "popup menus", in
> general, co-opt the event mechanism.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.