[UI] Well, shall we do something then?

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Sat Sep 15 11:01:01 UTC 2007

Gary,

IMHO, you hit it.  Presenters and event handling are the most important
features to get right.  Views are an active part of the framework, but
they are not something that should have to be created or changed in
ordinary development.  Others will probably disagree, but given text,
list (one and multiple column) and image presenters and buttons/menus, I
can do just about anything at the low-level.  Then one would want the
ability to create composites, including layout managers.

In ordinary Dolphin MVP work, the only time one messes with a view is to
create something that cannot be created with the existing views.
Suppose one wants to produce a Gantt chart: I say create it as an image,
and present it with ImagePresenter.  It needs to be interactive?  Fine,
process events, and change the image, and invalidate the relevant part
of the view.  I have in past subclassed View for such things, and later
realized that I was missing the obvious.

So, while one could try to emulate the view protocol, I think it is not
strictly necessary, and probably not even a good idea.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: bschwab at anest.ufl.edu
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com 09/14/07 3:32 PM >>>
For Dolphin, without platform widget (specifically Win32) support, we'd
have
to emulate the api it does use too... Or are we just talking about
taking
its event/composition model?