[UI] Well, shall we do something then?

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Mon Sep 17 05:34:12 UTC 2007

tim Rowledge schrieb:

> On 16-Sep-07, at 2:32 PM, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
>

>> CSS allows for some pretty decent layout, and maybe using it as the
>> method for specifying GUI layouts would lead to some synergy effects
>> between web GUI and screen GUI developments.
> We've been using some CSS for UI layout in Sophie. Seems to work
> reasonably but decent integration would be useful. Having text files
> sitting around is not a good solution in my mind.
That's right, I was more interested in the functionality of style sheets
than in the actual syntactic representation used in CSS files.
What I am contemplating is a kind of "smalltalkization" of CSS such that
a style sheet can be written as a method with ordinary message sends,
somewhat analogous to the way HTML or window parts are specified in
seaside and ToolBuilder, respectively.
Parsing actual CSS files can be useful, too, but should not be the main
mechanism for handling GUI layout CSS.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin