[UI] Well, shall we do something then?

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Mon Sep 17 02:31:30 UTC 2007

On Sep 16, 2007, at 2:12 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Costumes are in my opinion one of the more useful parts of the
> tweak design. You an change the look by changing the costume.

Perhaps - but when wanting to make a custom control - it gets unclear
(to me anyway) whether one should subclass one or both of the player/
class pair.  This is the bit I expect people to get wrong often.

An example is the multi-column Mac OS X file browser -  I sat down to
try to make one of these a couple different times and never really
got anywhere as I kept going around and around on whether I should
just keep the existing file chooser player, but make a new costume,
or make a new player to go along with it.

Having once built an event based system that relied on a pair of
threads separated by a queue - I can see how debugging things can be
a pain as you don't have that nice stack to figure out just how you
got here.

-Todd Blanchard