[UI] offlist - Dev image Naming convention

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Sat Apr 12 18:48:15 UTC 2008

Just a minor issue thought regarding dev image naming convention...

When you release, I find that I bring a fresh dev image and changes into a new folder with the same name, then open it, and immediately save as new version giving the following:
sq3.10-7159dev08.04.1     - this is the folder
    sq3.10-7159dev08.04.1.changes
   sq3.10-7159dev08.04.1.image
    sq3.10-7159dev08.04.2.changes
   sq3.10-7159dev08.04.2.image

which is good, because the versions end up in the right order.

Small problem would come if you released a sq3.10-7159dev08.04.2 since there would be a naming conflict because I already have one of those.
I would not be putting it into the same folder in any case, but there would then be versions on my system with same names, with totally different meanings.

Perhaps you have found this as well.

The issue is a side effect of how Squeak figures out the name for the new version, and  maybe that is what you do to get the name in the first place.

No biggy, but  this will most likely apply to other release versions too so if we give it some thought, it might be helpful.

As you might have guessed, messy versioning systems is one of my pet peeves! :)
I haven't really looked into it seriously but one would think version numbering must have been beaten to death somewhere already, wouldn't you think?

Any ideas?

Love the dev releases by the way.
I'm now able to build my customized image from your new releases via Installer in about 15 minutes, loading all Keith's stuff, everything I need to use VMMaker, all my own work, reloaded custom named Workspaces from text files with various snippets and stuff I need to keep around, etc., etc.

It drives me crazy to know that someone somewhere has fixed stuff that might be an issue I would run into, therefore I like to keep up to date. Don't know how people can stand to work in old images.

Ken G. Brown