[UI] Morphic restructuring

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Feb 15 20:00:46 UTC 2008

On 15-Feb-08, at 11:51 AM, Jason Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Are you thinking of multiple host windows as in allowing each system
>> window to have its own host window, perhaps in it own morphic world
>> running therein?  I have *no* idea whether the world is
>> good/bad/optional.
>
> Personally, given previous conversations I think the best option would
> be to allow multiple of the Squeak windows.  That is, objects are
> always rendered on a Squeak type canvas, a text box is always purely
> drawn in Squeak and never native, but we can just have several of
> these instead of only the one.

Our basic intent when designing Ffenestri was to allow pretty much any
usage. If you want to map a single SystemWindow level object to a host
window then that would be good and would match most needs in typical
applications. Don't forget to consider floating palette type windows
as well - those that accompany a main window and provide a palette of
tool icons etc. And menus could be implemented by opening a short
lived small window; this might well be much simpler and more portable
than trying to hook cleanly into every OS menu api, whilst allowing
the menu to be taller than a small app. window if needed.

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 10) "This code is a piece of crap!  You have no
honor!"