Whats happening with IronSmalltalk ?

Steve Wart steve.wart at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 16:15:03 UTC 2008

I took a look at the latest snapshots of the IronRuby code from svn://
rubyforge.org/var/svn/ironruby but I wasn't able to build it this time.

There's an in-depth article about the DLR and IronPython at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163344.aspx. Python builds nicely
and you can execute sample scripts but the code seems to have been
refactored quite a bit since then and the tutorial is now quite hard to
follow. The source is at http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython - you will need
to install TortoiseSVN and a thing called SvnBridge to get the latest code
from Microsoft. The license is BSD-compatible.

Both these projects and the underlying DLR seem to assume that dynamic
languages are scripting languages. I think that this is not entirely
consistent with the way Smalltalk works, but I suppose there's no reason you
couldn't build a Smalltalk compiler that works as a scripting language. You
would need to do something like this to bootstrap the environment anyhow.

One of the things I like about Smalltalk is that all the tools (e.g.
Transcript, Workspace, Code Browsers and Debuggers) are all written in
Smalltalk (it's tortoises all the way down!). I think it would be
interesting to implement these components in a library that could be loaded
into an application domain for development purposes. I don't think that
using vim or emacs to develop Smalltalk code would be particularly
productive and some native tools would provide a more incremental
development environment than Visual Studio.

To get started on a project like this I guess you would need to have a look
at building a Smalltalk Language Provider. The easiest way to get this up
and running would probably be to have a look at SmaCC and #Smalltalk - I
think the parsing and code generation would be much the same whether you're
targeting the CLR or the DLR.

A key milestone might be to have something that's self hosting. If the DLR
was packaged as a DLL instead of a project dependency, then you could write
the compiler in Smalltalk instead of C#.

The code is here http://www.refactory.com/Software/SharpSmalltalk/ - I think
it's already self-hosting on the CLR. I believe that John Brant discussed
some of the conceptual differences between Smalltalk and .NET on
comp.lang.smalltalk a few years ago.

Steve