ESUG 2011 Planning

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at cincom.com
Wed Sep 29 16:26:56 UTC 2010

Greetings all. As those of you at this month's UK Smalltalk meeting will
know, we are attempting to put together a proposal to host ESUG 2011 in the
UK. We brainstormed a number of ideas for locations and split them up among
the people at the meeting to follow up on.

Giovanni is working to set up a mailing list for those who are interested in
helping with this effort. In the meantime, however, I wanted to make sure
everyone knew the details of everything we would require from the venue. I
also wanted to recap the places that everyone at the meeting said they would
look into.

As a reminder, we need to be finalizing a number of these details at our
October meeting. We agree we would feed back all the information we have
acquired by October 8. Since I'm thinking we may have a lot of venues to
look through, I thought it would be helpful to have all the information in a
semi-consistent format. This should also help make sure nothing is missed.
Hopefully we can set up a wiki or something to hold the information but for
now I'm attaching a (UK-inspired) template we can all use for each venue.

More details are below.... (Niall, Tim, and Yann: see notes in the last
section for you :) )

Julian

Details to keep in mind when contacting each possible venue

- Ideal dates: Sep 10-16. Week before (or after?) as alternates.
- In general, get as much information as possible about what is and is not
included in the stated costs.
- We need accurate cost estimates in order to evaluate each venue. Our
budget is going to be tight.
- Rooms:
  - Sat + Sun before: room for Camp Smalltalk (~50 people) with tables
  - Mon - Fri:
    - Main lecture/presentation room holding up to 160-200 people (ie. the
whole conference attendance). Projector/Screen. Probably sound system.
    - Secondary lecture/presentation room for ~70-100. Projector/Screen.
Sound system maybe not needed depending on size.
    - It may be possible in some venues, rather than having 2 dedicated
rooms, to sub-divide one large room at different points in the day to meet
the needs of the above two rooms.
    - Either the Camp Smalltalk room above or some appropriate space for
people to gather with laptops and work together.
  - The rooms must be physically near each other.
- WIFI needed throughout
- Lunch catering Mon-Fri (do we need to use a specific caterer? If so, what
is the cost?)
- Accommodation:
  - We need to pay for the housing for 20 student volunteers. This needs to
be CHEAP.
  - A number of other attendees will want cheap (or relatively cheap)
accommodation options nearby.
  - Generally, there needs to be enough accommodation conveniently located
for all the attendees.

Areas for investigation (to report back by Oct 8)

Niall has already done a bunch of research on Scottish venues. Niall, can
you look more into the practicalities of the castle? We like the castle
idea! :)

Tim (MacKinnon), you left before the end, but we wondered if you would be
willing to check into Reading University?

Yann, you weren't there, but you got volunteered (if you're willing) to see
if you can find any castles or stately homes (presumably in the London
vicinity?) that might work.

Jason
 - Oxford
Ramiro