[V3dot10] Re: 3.10

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 04:28:04 UTC 2006

> What does "revolutionary" mean?  Will it force people to change old
> tests?
>
> -Ralph

By 'revolutionary' I think that I discovered that moving TestCase to a
new category ruined its ability to be safely loaded into a standard
image from monticello. (perhaps this is a bug which could use fixing)

Given that in 3.10 we may soon have 3 testing frameworks I proposed a
'revolutionary' recategorisation as follows.

Top levels:
Testing
Testing Tests

Other Levels
Testing-Common
Testing-Common-UI

Testing-SUnit-Kernel
Testing-SUnit-Extensions

Testing-SSpec-etc etc ec
Testing Tests-SSpec

the 'evolutionary' version provides the same functionality but without
the new  categorisation which apparently breaks things.

I have just published the 'evolutionary' versions to mantis which may be
obtained via Installer ( http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer ) using.

Installer mantis bug: 4874 fix: 'Join.3.cs'
Installer mantis bug: 5639 fix:  'SUnit-kph.38.mcz
<http://bugs.impara.de/file_download.php?file_id=2399&type=bug>'
Installer mantis bug: 5639 fix:  'SUnitGUI-kph.13.mcz
<http://bugs.impara.de/file_download.php?file_id=2400&type=bug>'
----
The new functionality
-------------------------------------
How the scheme works. A TestCase, (or SpecContext) class defines
#publishedSuites such that

TestCase-c-#publishedSuites
^#( #standardTests #longTests #squeak39release #knownBugs )

each of the nominated published suite selectors define a match string to
defines the particular test suite.
The match string supports '|' for 'or' so as to support multiple matches.
Also the match string matches against both the method name and the
method category name together.

<method match string>@<category match string>

examples

TestCase-c-#standardTests