[V3dot10] Re: loading scripts via package universes

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Mon Aug 6 20:51:27 UTC 2007

Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> You just dont seem to get it, I am not in a perfect world I want to
> make things workable UNTIL these other good things of which you speak
> happen. If you can do this visibly it provides the feedback to the
> community as to what needs to change.

Where did you get that idea?  Package universes is already up and
running, and has been for years, so it most certainly works with how
things are now.

> If I fork I end up managing their project
> also, I cant track their changes without a lot of effort. I am already
> doing this on about 15 packages, it is wearing me out, why do you
> think I am so frustrated.

Really!  What 15 packages would that be?  Have you submitted your
patches to the maintainers?!

> I saw a solution to this problem and I cant
> get it... without forking universes also, which I am not going to do!

If you patch 15 packages, then isn't that pretty much a fork?
Assuming it is really what you want, you should probably set up your
own universe server.  It is easy to do -- it's all pure Squeak.
Instructions are at the bottom of this page:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3785

I must say, though, it sounds weird that you have so many local,
non-standard patches.  I believe you will have a much happier
Squeaking experience if you can find a way to use the standard
versions.  If you use non-standard versions, then won't you have a
hard time sharing your code with other people?

Lex