[V3dot10] Re: loading scripts via package universes

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Aug 7 09:43:22 UTC 2007

El 8/6/07 11:32 PM, "Keith Hodges" <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> escribió:

> Teams need leaders, vision, direction, management, discussion, action,
> and integration. When I see a team I will let you know.

You said all wonderful things we have now comes from out space ?
Teams exist now, believe or not, maybe not perfect.

> Worse than this, while we are trying to put pieces
> together at the same time we have a goal of taking things apart!

It's not worst, is a needed step.
I feeling having a small Squeak what let load all packages is a long way.
Lucky us, we have Craig and Pavel showing how.
Pavel thing is closer to current and when I work whit he I do a different
PackageInfo, a different Monticello.
But I don't insist in "my version is the thing and all different is crap"
As package have owners and mantainers, they should said how we could help.
Same as package universes, which exists from a loooong time, but Lex should
wait until more people could try and now is on image.

> So, the users requested it, it was discussed on the mailing list, and
> where is it now? In 3.10 I am afraid not, hmm wasted effort eh.

No, Only you need some squeakers send mail to list saying  "I want Keith
Sunit into 3.10"
A Mantis report about helps.

I read, I listen.

> a build and test system. Hang on, wasnt this the MAIN GOAL
> of 3.10?

Sorry you don't get, but no.
And Ralph have like some this working.
I trust in he. I'm lucky to be guided by he and be in touch with his
students , like Maurice .
If we need judge the tree by the fruit ...the new sources scheme in the
works is promising.

>  What is the biggest pain in the neck in squeak
> development, what does the release team(s) complain about the most?
> Answer: Monticello

I don't like Monticello, say several times we could move faster with change
sets, as some others also think.
But this way is picked by release team before us and we need stick and
continue finding how to improve.
That's is team play, you follow you team rules or become Lone Ranger without
Tonto.
Not to bad, as Damien development image is builded on top of our
"handicapped version" image.
Sorry you, but Avi is taking on Monticello and Damien is working on
Monticello 2.

I afraid you take my "Monticello 1 1/2" , like Leslie Nielsen movies, too
serious.

And I don't wish insult any Squeaker.

I wish  team work, but if you think we don't have any...