[V3dot10] Re: Monticello and 3.10

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Fri Aug 17 14:38:34 UTC 2007

On the process issues, let me just repeat that I fully agree, Edgar.
Please integrate submissions at the speed and in the order that makes
sense, and please request anything reasonable from the submittors and
the group at large that will help.  If you want things on Mantis, or
on the wiki, or if you want more input of some kind, then just ask.
You guys are doing an extraordinarily good service to make the
decisions about what goes in without upsetting too many of the people
trying to use Squeak.

On package loaders, it is important to have at least one major format
that a distribution can be built around.  I would prefer that the
release team oversees this decision, just like it decides which
compiler is standard.  So I do not like this suggestion that the core
image might dump Monticello and leave it up to each Squeak user to
figure out which variant of which fork to use.

If that happens, then maybe we need to build some kind of
Monticello Team to maintain a main, non-controversial version
of Monticello that most people can use.  Such a team could run a bug
and submission tracker much like we do for the core image.

Such a Monticello Team would be an example of the cross-dialect
packages Andreas asked about a few weeks ago....

-Lex