[V3dot10] making and recording changes

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Thu Jan 18 17:44:56 UTC 2007

On 18 janv. 07, at 18:26, Ralph Johnson wrote:

> On 1/18/07, stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:
>> It seems to me that I already said that. But ask and I will repeat.
>
> We did talk, but somehow I never realized that.
>
>> Ralph this is what we DID for 3.9.
>
> So, why did people complain that you did not have an update stream?

because it was slow (we did not use MCConfig) and sometimes we could not
really chain well so we had to do changes by hand. So it was
necessary to load from
a given image. But this was not the process the problem just the
difficulties we encountered.

Because people like to complain.

>> But we put the precondition that any code loaded in 3.9 had to be
>> physically present
>> in the squeak source of the squeakfoundation server. So no
>> dispersal of
>> source. We had one and only source. Now people could develop where
>> they wanted
>> but we copied locally all the code.
>
> That makes sense.  The way you would make a change "official" is to
> copy it to the offical server.

Exact! and the world could crash.

>> Have a look at the scriptloader and the cs that were issued to load
>> the scriptloader
>> scripts and run them
>
> I've looked at the scroptloader and I did not figure this out.  In
> general, saying "look at my code, it is all clear" is never true.  You
> have to explain what is going on.

So now you have the explanation.